We had a very successful My Fest 2015 this weekend at Tempe Beach Park.
Our purpose was to collect pledges asking that adults will not serve alcohol to underage youth and that youth will not drink until they are 21 years old. We had a very successful turnout with 316 individuals making the pledge. We wanted to take a quick moment to thank Cobblestone Car Wash, Tempe St. Lukes Medical Center, Edward Jones, and Tempe Chamber of Commerce for their support.
- Assigned Chair: Hilary Cummings
- Assigned Co-Chair: Trish Gilman
- Agreed to meet one hour before regularly scheduled meetings to strategize and plan future events.
- Hilary Cummings was assigned to be recorder
- Group decided to explore Instagram, Wristbands, and PSA’s to reach youth about the dangers of drug and alcohol use.
See full document here: Youth Committee NOTES NOVEMBER monthly reports
- Group decides to create two brochures, one aimed at high school youth and another for adults about the dangers of marijuana use.
- Request addition data and resources to help subcommittee better understand marijuana.
See full document here: Marijuana Committee monthly reports Feb 2015
- Don Johnston asked to be Chairman of subcommittee.
- Mickie Berry assigned Co-Chair of subcommittee.
- Group decides to meet one hour before regularly scheduled meetings to allow them to discuss strategies and agenda items.
- Kelly Alexander assigned recorder of the subcommittee.
- Kelly Alexander to attend Marijuana Conference and report her findings to the group.
- AZ Youth Survey reviewed by subcommittee.
See full document here: Marijuana Committee Notes monthly reports
- Stephanie Siete assigned chair.
- Showed PSA announcement of “Be [IN] the Know”.
- Asked about receiving help from Coalition members who work in education to help get the word out.
See full document here: Parent Committee monthly reports Feb 2015
- Group decided to meet one hour before regularly scheduled meetings to discuss strategy and future plans.
- Ideas about future strategy and goals were discussed.
- Discussed possible members to chair committee but no members formally elected.
See full document here: Parent Notes11.4.14
We are partnering with Community Bridges and the Tempe Unioin High School District to host 2 forums in April about the recent trends in drug abuse. Hosted by Stephanie Siete, these forums will allow you to better understand drugs and the effect they can have on your family and community.
The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids has a new app called “Drug Guide for Parents” it is a smartphone app to help you with comprehensive, up-to-date information on the drugs most commonly abused by teens.
You’ll find color visuals; “street” name/slang term references; a detailed explanation of the known ingredients; short- and long-term side effects; a brief description of what each drug looks like and how it is used; and its federal classification.
Download our free app> http://ow.ly/Km89x
The 8th annual MY Fest, brought to you by MY LIFE will take place on Sunday, March 22, 2015 at Tempe Beach Park. This FREE concert will feature 10+ live artists and will have tons of family fun activites like face painting, games, and free food. Get more info about the event here and we look forward to seeing you there!